Friday, January 14, 2011

Bottle Bomb

I thought it only happened to people who didn't carbonate correctly and use WAY too much priming sugar. Well today I went and checked on the closet full of homebrews and noticed something: the smell of beer.  Uh-oh.  Looked under the towel covering the cases of bottles and sure enough one bottle was shattered. 


Now the good news about this bottle bomb:
  1. This means that the bottles are carbonating, thats a plus
  2. Only one bottle broke so it doesn't seem that they're all overcarbed
  3. The one that broke was a clear bottle, likely to skunk and
  4. It was a Strongbow Cider bottle, hence: I now know only to use beer bottles
Due to #4 I grabbed the other Strongbow bottle which hadn't broken and decided to crack it open before it cracked itself.  Didn't pour into the best glass for the style but here is how it looks and lets just say, I'm happy with it.  Has the correct color and a BIG head.  Smell is strongly of cloves as is the taste.  Might still be a little green still but tasted more like beer than when straight from the fermenter.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like this type of beer may be one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete